Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 19


(Chinese character for "endure" with broken heart and stars)

Despite my late night and my new awesome tattoo, I had a promise to my sister to keep. Last night WAS her prom and I wanted all the details. I picked her up for breakfast at the diner. From what I can gather, she and Bob Newbie are really getting serious. She is finished with high school and will be turning 18 in only 3 days!

We were talking about Junior's crush on Lydia Pearl and Dad's new promotion, when a woman walked out of the diner asking if someone could direct her to Bordelinski's Modeling Studio. "I know where it is. B is my agent. Are you a new model?" She smiled. "yes. We were hired as extras for a bridal shoot today but me and my friend can't seem to find the studio." So much for playing catch-up with my sister.

I gave my sister a hug. "I'm going to show ..." I turned to the young woman. "Marina." I nodded and turned back to Marie. "...Marina and her friend to B's. Momma said your birthday party was all planned but let's go over the details the day before. OK?" She grinned from ear to ear. "Definitely. See you around. I'm heading to the grocery store to see if Bob can sneak away for a little while." That little minx!

"We could just walk from here. It's only two blocks down and through the park to B's." Marina looked over to the paparazzi that was only a foot from us. "Um, is he coming with us too?" I smirked. "They never leave me alone. Just ignore him. It's what I do. Come on."

Marina introduced me to her friend Bianca but she didn't seem like a very pleasant woman. On our walk, I learned that both woman were from Bridgeport and had met B there through their mutual friend, Don. I remember him. I wonder if B ever made their movie date?

I didn't get a chance to ask because b was all work and no play! I really should be used to her but I'm not. She is so no-nonsense. That was the hardest shoot ever and it took well over 6 hours! Apparently, Jake taking off was NOT planned. And B was just irritated with the shots. I was never so glad as when she told us to change and get out.

I was so stressed out, I actually started to yell at the paparazzi when I noticed he had followed me all the way onto my front porch. I felt bad afterwards, but sometimes I don't want all my business posted on the front page of a gossip magazine!

I thought a nice hot bath and a glass of wine would be just the thing for the evening. But instead, Vi and Jacq meet me at the door. "What's going on? Why do y'all seem so excited? Hey, I am NOT getting another tattoo, going skinny dipping, or any other thing you want to talk me into." Jacq looked my right in the eye and said, "Derek is here."

Oh, Creator! Derek is here?! Think, think, think. "Jacq, I've had the worst day. I just don't think I am up to meeting a Vampire ... Lord ... Person thingy."

I turned to Vi. "Vi, please? Don't make me do this. He makes me nervous and ..." Vi slowly shook her head. "What's wrong with you, Lace? It's not like he is going to drink you." I was not going to admit to the dreams of him watching me. "I ... I ... " Jacq turned for the door, "Come on. He's waiting below." Below? I slowly followed them.

"Um, where are we going?" I asked. Jacq spoke to Vi over her shoulder. "I would never had kept YOU had you been this jumpy." Vi glared at Jacq. "She's just spooked. I would be too if I were being dragged into a vamp feud." She looked at me. "Jacq forgets what it's like to have human fears."

...

Vi continued. "THIS is Jacq's place. She had it built when we moved here last year. This is where we like to spend those hot, sunny days. Since your rise to fame, it is getting harder to hide it, though. All those paparazzi hanging around and all." Oops! I had no idea this place even existed ... and I live here!

"Sometime tonight, Ladies!" Jacq called out. I was getting a Gothic vibe from the ... torches. Just take nice deep breathes. 

With the radio on classical and drinks being served, it almost seemed like a party.

Almost.

"Hello, Lacey. Can I get you a drink?" My hands were shaking! "Um, no. No, thanks. I'm fine. I'm good. Uh, Jake is making plans with a guy named Beau!" I blurted out.

"Alright, we'll skip the small talk.Who is his contact? I haven't seen Jake anywhere near Beau." I thought back. "Lizzy! It's Lizzy. I remember her saying something about talking to Beau and that he agreed." 

 "Do you know when he is suppose to meet Beau?" I started shaking my head. "No. I didn't hear anything else because ... well, he and Lizzy were ... together." 

Derek's look softened. "Jacq, it seems, did not relay ALL the details. I'm sorry Jake involved you in this." His sigh was one of regret. I remember now that he tried to warn me about Jake on more than one occasion. I watched as he walked over to the bar and poured another glass. He walked back and handed it to me. "Here, have a drink. Calm down, and I will explain things as best as I can."

It was smooth going down and its warmth filled my belly. I went and sat down next to Derek on the sofa.

I waited for him to begin. "Jake is evil. Not because of the things he does or the way he chooses to live. But because something inside him just makes him that way. He can't control it. IT controls him. This ... evil trait pushes him to do things that would shock you to your toes. I can't tell you where it came from only that I can sense it. I have a ... gift, I guess you could say. I can read people's spirits. All Vamps can read minds and cause others to think of them but me? I have this third ability and it has caused me to be looked up to. Some even treat me as their Lord."

"So, as a Lord, why can't you just tell everyone NOT to turn Jake?" He sighed. "It doesn't work that way. There are others who don't care about balance and would see Jake as a valuable asset. Jake's uncontrolled evil would create chaos, something vamps like Beau thrive on. Beau has pushed his limits in Bridgeport and has been controlled by those loyal to me. Now he is out to destroy me and what I call balance. And you, I'm sorry to say,  were a pawn in this malicious game we now have to play out."

"And because Jake pulled you into this, I must ask something of you as well." I looked over at Derek. I was scared to think what a vampire like him needed me for. "Lacey, I need you to go back to Jake. Tell him you are still in love with him and can't live without him." My eyes just about popped out of my head. "What!? You must be kidding! After what you just told me, I will not be caught within miles of him!"

"Just listen to me. I HAVE to know when he is meeting Beau. I can't allow Jake to be changed. I will not take the risk of bringing chaos to this rural community. Think what a population of immoral vamps would do here? Think about your family?"

I sat in silence as his words sank in. Marie would be a young adult soon and a prime target for vamps. And little Maddy. What would that do to his childhood? "I'll do it, Derek." He turned to me. "I'm so sorry to ask this of you. You are so ... innocent and pure. After this is over, you will have nothing more to fear, I promise."

We both stood up. "I'm ... I need to use the restroom. Which way ..." He pointed to a door on the left. I quickly entered and locked the door behind me.

I took a moment to gather myself. I couldn't believe I just agreed to see Jake again AND pretend like I was a love struck fool. I admit, it was mostly my pride balking. But I would do this because I cared about my family. Derek sure knew what string to pull. I headed out but didn't see anyone in the sitting room. I heard splashing so I walked into the pool area.

AH! I quietly backed up until I bumped into Derek.

"They obviously weren't expecting us anytime soon. I say you and I go for a drive. You up for it?" As Derek held out his hand, my stomach filled with familiar butterflies.






  





No comments:

Post a Comment