Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Days 14 - 15

Vi and I woke up around 10am, ready to do some remodeling. We had just decided on a plan of action when my phone rang. "Hello?" It was my Momma. "Yes, ma'am, I'm coming to dinner tomorrow." I motioned to see if Vi wanted to come but she shook her head. "No, ma'am. Just me. OK, see you tomorrow. I love you, too. Buh-bye." I turned to Vi. "Alright, let's make this happen."

It was well after 3pm when we finally finished! Vi thought it was a vast improvement. She said she was not a fan of a lot of windows. But I was happy with my new room.

We decided to have a night in after all our hard work. Then the TV blew. Vi totally freaked!

"Calm down, Vi. It will be fine. I'll call the electronic store. I know the guy who owns it. I can ask if he'll deliver a new one." She sighed. "But it will take days." I smiled and pulled out my cell.

"Pizza's here, Lace!" I heard Vi gasp as she passed through the living room. 

Vi came running into the kitchen. "How did you get the TV here so quickly?" I grabbed a slice of pizza. "It comes from having lived here all my life." I laughed at her expression. "Earl used to work with my Daddy before he opened his own business. He was happy to help me out." Vi just shook her head. "Earl? Well, at least I won't have to miss Big Brother: S3E." I quickly swallowed the bite of pizza in my mouth. "You watch it too? Could you believe that last episode?" She leaned forward. "I know! I'm biting my nails to see who is going home: JJ or Dave."

"I'm as useless in the kitchen as JJ is. I hope he doesn't go home." Vi's comment made me think about going to the bistro tomorrow. "Hey, why don't you come to the bistro tomorrow with me and Jake?"

"Really? Would you mind if I brought ... my date?" She was going to come! "No, that would be great!" She looked nervous. "We would have to wait until the sun set. I can't go out in full light." "Why?" I wanted to know. "Because ... I'm a vamp." 

I was shocked! I had no idea. Well, there had been clues but I never put them together. Wow, now I am living with a vamp. "Wow, Vi. I'm not sure what to say. Um, how? Why? When?" Big Brother went unwatched as Vi proceeded to tell me about her life back in Bridgeport. How she ran away from an abusive father and joined with a small gang. She began living on the streets and stealing merely to survive. Until she met Jacq. When Jacq offered to turn her, she jumped at the chance. She had known the vamp life was hard but no worse than the life she had already been living.

"I really should have told you before but I didn't know how. You're not in any danger. I keep a supply of plasma juice and I can only turn you if you give me permission." I thought back to the weekend in Sunset Valley. "Derek is a vamp, too, huh?" She nodded. "Yea. He got me the job with B. He is a big name in Sunset Valley. He's the one who turned Jacq." I started to get up. "I have a lot to think over so I am going to head to bed now." She got up too. "Look, if you want out it's ... " I held up my hand. "Let's just talk in the morning, OK?"    


It WAS a lot to take in. I knew vampires existed but most stayed in the city. There had never been any living in Riverview! Could I handle it? To be honest, I didn't feel scared. Vi was the sweetest person I had ever met. And she had always been nice to me. I would hate to see our friendship end because she had chosen an alternate lifestyle.

The next morning, I woke early so I could have time to talk to Vi and get ready for a day with the family.
  
I threw on my workout clothes (stupid extra slice of pizza!!) and walked across the hall to Vi's room. At my knock, she hollered for me to come in. She stood in only her undergarments, painting a beautiful canvas.

"Vi, I wanted to apologize last night for just walking out on you. I have this bad habit of trying to walk away from my problems. And to answer your question: No, I don't want 'out'. You're my best friend, Vi." Her eyes watered up, "Aww, Lace. You're going to make me cry."

"Living with a vamp isn't so bad. It just takes some getting used. But the one thing you need to remember is ... !" I looked up sharply.

Vi got a real serious look on her face and continued,"to not get caught staring at a vamp's teeth!" She busted out laughing for indeed I had been staring at her sharp teeth.

I smacked her arm. "You wench! You scared the life outta me!" We both laughed.

"Are you off to the gym?" she asked. "Yea, gotta work off that fattening pizza." Vi rolled her eyes. "Please. You barely finished the first slice. But if you insist. I'll see you tonight at the bistro."



 

After sweating my butt off at the gym, I arrive at my house to see little Maddy devouring a carton of ice cream. It reinforced my conclusion that dieting sucks! Tracy spent most of the day in the pool. She confided in me that she wants to try out for the swim team this summer. Dad spent his Sunday the usual way, watching the Llamas play and snoozing in his favorite chair.

Marie was all bubbly over her new prom dress. She felt the need to explain her fabric choice and color scheme to me. I approved although I really can't say why. Hey, I just look good in the clothes, someone else puts them  together.

I was about to head out the door when Momma called out. "Where are you going all fancy like?" I turned and smiled. "To the bistro with Jake and Vi. What do you think?" I did a quick turn. She pulled me in for a quick hug. "You're gonna make his eyes pop, Honey." As I pulled out the drive in my Retro, I was still smiling at her words.

We sat around talking while we waited for the mysterious Jacq to show.

Finally, SHE did! Not only a vamp, but a gay vamp!! Vi was just full of secrets!  

"Jake, stop staring," I hissed when Vi greeted Jacq. "Hey, I'm a guy. I can't help it." He turned to me. "Shocked, my little Innocent?" I blushed as he lifted my hand to his lips. "Now you understand why I flipped when you said you and Vi were moving in together. I thought she had ... turned you." His chuckle filled the air and carried just a hint of evil. Why had I never heard that sound before?

We ate and drank and had a great time. Even when the bistro closed at 11pm, we still sat outside just talking. Jake had been very animated all evening. I could tell from the glances passing around the table that Jacq and Jake were at odds. But what was going on?

"Have you given up all thoughts of moonlighting as a bartender, then?" Jacq's question caught me off guard. I had almost forgotten about that. "Um, yea, I guess. I didn't realize these comps offered monetary rewards." Jacq nodded then turned to Jake. "I figured you would have already shown Lacey the ... 'ins and outs' of modeling by now, Jake." There was no mistaking the look of disgust on Jacq's face. Jake leaned toward her. "Oh, I plan on it. I won't spare her one detail. I will keep 'at it' all night if I have to."

Jacq suddenly stood up. "I suddenly have the urge to bite something. I must go." Vi stood up too. "Um, sorry about that, Lace. She and Jake..." At Jake's growl, Vi suddenly stopped talking. She shook her head. "We're going to Plasma so we won't be back till late. Don't wait up." I was so confused by all the undercurrents. Did Jacq and Jake have a thing? But she is with Vi which would make her more interested in me than Jake, right?


Jake pulled me out of my chair and into his arms. "Jake?" He kissed me. "Jake? I need to know.." My words were cut off by another kiss. His kisses filled me with emotions I couldn't begin to understand. But I pulled away again and tried to collect my thoughts. "Jake, what is with you and Jacq? Why are you two so hostile towards each other? Aren't you both friends of Vi?"

He sighed. "Jacq and I were together once, years ago. We were living together in Sunset Valley. This is before she decided she wanted to be gay." His sarcasm was unmistakable. "We were on the verge of breaking up anyway when she headed into Bridgeport for the weekend. She comes back with Vi. I was seriously pissed. I had nothing against Violet but I was just mad at being brushed aside. Long story short, we had words, Derek stepped in because he's Jacq's protector. He cooled us all off, including Vi who had still been a newborn and had been ready to suck me dry! I left and settled in with this job as photographer. Then last year, Derek shows up with Vi and gets her a job with B. I'm civil to everyone but Jacq and I obviously still have trouble getting along."

I feel so young and naive. So much has happened and I have found myself in the middle of everything! Jake leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips. "I'm with you, now. Let's just focus on us." I know there is something not right about all this. But with Jake so close, I can't get my thinking clear of the fog. So when he asked if we could head back to the townhouse, I found myself agreeing.





1 comment:

  1. Hey B,
    Great job! I'm totally in love with this story! :D

    ReplyDelete